Google Play Store is the hub for Android users to download a plethora of mobile apps, games and digital content, both for free and for a fee. Formerly known as Android market, Google Play Store also functions as an online store that sells music, movies and ebooks. Moreover, it also becomes a cloud media player that allows the user to listen to music.
Google Play Store was introduced in 2012 which became one single platform which includes Google music services and Android Market. By the second month of 2017, there are already 2.7 million apps as well as 40 million songs.
While new Android devices already come with Google Play Store, there are instances where the user needs to reinstall the app. This can be down by downloading the APK version. The most recent update is Google Play Store 188.8.131.52 and it comes with new fixes.
For those who want to enjoy the features of the latest version of Play Store, there are two ways to download the APK version: via an Android phone or computer.
Via a Mobile Device
- The first course of action to download and install Google Play Store is to enable “Unknown Sources”. Simply go to Settings > Security and select the box next to Unknown Sources. However, after installation is over, ensure that you deselect the box next to Unknown Sources.
- Next, go to one of the trusted mirror sites to download the APK file and which is also the latest version of Google Play Store. If you get a message that says “this type of file can harm your device”, simply press the OK button.
- Open the APK file and if there are new permissions request, read it and select Install to start the process.
Via a Desktop or Laptop
- If your Android device is not currently connected to an internet, you can still download the APK version from your computer with internet connectivity. The process is also the same as downloading Google Play Store on your Android but instead, it will be stored on your computer.
- Once the APK file is saved on your computer, connect your Android device to your computer via USB cable and copy the downloaded APK version to your device.
- Next, launch the APK and select Install.
Meanwhile, fake reviews on some Google Play Store have been discovered in March which obviously referenced games instead of being legitimate reviews.